Home and Community Based Services
Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) is operated by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS) under KanCare. The program is designed to help Kansans with disabilities receive services in their homes or communities instead of an in-patient facility.
What are HCBS waivers?
HCBS waivers, authorized under federal law, allow Kansas to waive certain Medicaid program requirements. Each waiver has a variety of services and supports available, which could include therapy, counseling, training, case management, among others. There are seven different categories of waivers. Each has their own eligibility requirements.
- Serious Emotional Disturbance Waiver — 4-18 years
- Autism Waiver — services start under age 6
- Intellectual/Developmentally Disabled Waiver — 5+ years
- Frail Elderly Waiver — 65+ years
- Physical Disability Waiver — 16-64 years
- Technology Assisted Waiver — 0-21 years
- Brain Injury Waiver — 0-64 years
For more information, check out these handy guides from the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services.
Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
503 S. Kansas Ave.
Topeka, KS 66603-3404